September 20, 2017

Blog Status Update


Techlaurels Weathered the Storm!
But it Was Rough!



I just wanted to give you an update on the status of this blog. As many of our followers know, Techlaurels is physically located on the Florida Suncoast, on one of the Barrier Islands.  We were in the path of Irma, and at one point, were facing a potential fifteen foot storm surge, which would have obliterated our little Island.  (In the graphic above, I live right below the 8 am Monday M.) So we all evacuated. The storm turned at the last moment, and my home was spared. But that doesn't mean we were not effected.  

When the threat passed. and we were finally allowed to return home, there were gas shortages and bumper to bumper traffic.  We came home to find an Island that had suffered a lot of damage.  Trees had fallen on houses, fences, and roads; chairs, carports, and trash cans were all over the place, and you could barely walk down streets because of all of the debris.  

If anyone is interested in reading more about our third-world like conditions, feel free to look at the public posts on my personal Facebook page (facebook.com/laurelnev). Suffice it to say it's hard to write about Smart Homes when your own set-up has been completely dismantled, packed into waterproof tubs, and stashed in the bathtub, under a mattress, to protect it from potential wind damage. In addition, although I suffered little loss outside of an extended  power outage, my neighbors were not so lucky.  I have been devoting my time to the recovery efforts, and I have not even had a chance to put all the things stashed around my house back into their rightful spots.

I am currently working on an article about what tech worked for me, and what tech failed, during this week+ long storm event.  After that, our series on Alexa and Smart Homes will resume. However, I have heard feedback from readers that do not have Alexa, and they would like to see the return of other content. Therefore, when we resume publication, the Alexa Smart Home Articles will be interspersed with quick tips, quizzes, etc. We will even sponsor another Giveaway soon.  

Please bear with us while Florida recovers. We are beginning to return to normal, with the exception of persistent grocery shortages, and 11% of people in my county are still without power.  Until this Blog returns to a normal publication schedule, we hope you'll catch up on some of the articles you may have missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for contributing to the discussion! Your feedback is valued! (Unless you are a sunglasses or work at home spammer, in which case, your comment will be promptly deleted. :D) The Mods are reviewing it, to keep those types away! ;)